Our properties are located in the historic Goldfields area of central Victoria (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Melbourne). The Victorian Goldfields region retains the legacy of the vast gold discoveries of about 150 years ago. It still has many Victorian era buildings and a cultural heritage stemming from the wealth derived from the gold and the diversity of people living and working in the area during the gold rush.
Herrmann's Cottage - Maldon
Herrmann's Cottage is a classic Australian miner's cottage (circa 1860) set on over ½ acre of gardens. It is fully self-contained and completely private.
Herrmann Blum acquired this ½ acre allotment in the Parish of Maldon by Crown Grant in 1859. He established "a three-roomed weatherboard house with iron roof, two stables and outhouses". Sometime later an extension was added expanding the original cottage from one to three bedrooms. The cottage has recently been carefully redecorated throughout—retaining all the character but with the modern comforts. It features a traditional front verandah with slate paving; inside there are the original timber dado panels and Baltic pine floors. There's a sitting room with a wood fire, three bedrooms, an updated bathroom with an original ‘claw-foot bath' and a brick paved courtyard with an outdoor table setting and BBQ.....more.
Broughton House - Castlemaine
Broughton House is a classic Victorian era house (circa 1870) set on a large garden allotment. It is fully self-contained and very private.
Broughton House is a freestanding solid brick home of four main rooms. It has a slate stepped entrance to a central hallway leading to a rear farmhouse style kitchen with a coved wooden ceiling and adjoining sitting / meals area. Below ground is an original cellar with a slate paved floor and brick shelves. Constable Bernard Duffy arrived in Australia in 1856 and was joined by his family in 1857 when they arrived in Melbourne on the vessel Broughton Hall. Constable Duffy acquired the land where Broughton House now stands during the first sale of Crown land in the area of the Gold Commissioners Camp in 1863. Recently, Broughton House has been professionally renovated in keeping with a classic / contemporary style..... more.